About Tulloch Castle
Welcome to the Tulloch Castle section of our website. Here you will learn the history of Tulloch Castle, the relationship between Tulloch Castle and the Town of Dingwall, the relationship between Tulloch Castle and Clan Davidson, and the history of the Davidsons of Tulloch.
Tulloch Castle is located in the Town of Dingwall in the Highlands of Scotland (Dingwall Area Map). Tulloch Castle has changed hands many times since its ancient construction, and has served the various functions of family estate, military hospital, and dormitory. It is currently used as a hotel and conference centre. [See Dingwall and the Davidsons]
The castle is believed to have been built by Norsemen sometime during the 12th century. However, the earliest, firmly documented ownership of the castle can be traced back to the Bayne family of the 16th century.
In the 18th century however, ownership of the castle changed hands. Kenneth Bayne, 8th Laird of Tulloch, sold the estate to his cousin, Henry Davidson, on the 13 January 1762. Tulloch Castle remained the property of the Davidson family until the 20th century. It became known as the seat of the Clan Davidson. [See Davidsons of Tulloch Family Tree and Davidson of Tulloch Armorial]